It is very tempting to skip or rush cleansing our face, especially after a big day or a few glasses of wine. A little neglect here or there can leave your skin with clogged pores filled with dirt, grime and makeup that can cause acne, blackheads, or an overall dullness to your skin’s complexion. If clear, glowing skin is on your wish list, cleansing is the MOST important step in your skincare routine! Double cleansing provides an effective and thorough clean that your skin will love you for. Keep reading to learn more about the benefits of double cleansing for your skin!
What is double cleansing?
For those who may think double cleansing is just another silly trend or fad, you will be greatly surprised to learn it originated in Korea in the 14th century and has since become a beauty staple! Double cleansing essentially is a two-step process that leaves your face fresh and clean by removing dirt that sits on your skin along with makeup, environmental pollutants and dead skin. This double step process involves washing your face using two products – a cleanser that will draw out oil-based impurities such as oxidised sebum, SPF, makeup, and pollutants, followed by a second cleanser that addresses your skin type or concern. It is ideal that the cleanser used in the second step contains ingredients that will help to hydrate, exfoliate or treat acne. This double cleansing process helps to assure that any moisturising or treatments is not done in vain!
Benefits of Double Cleansing
A thorough cleanse has never been more essential than in the evening to remove your makeup. However, double cleansing is much more than just a way to remove make-up! It is brimming with benefits that can lead to your skin looking clear and luminous – without the help of any shimmer.
Here are the top benefits of double cleansing.
- Prevents sebum build up and bacteria – Sebum and bacteria build up on our skin can cause infections resulting in what we know as acne or breakouts. Double cleansing helps prevent this build up by washing away these impurities.
- Removes pollutants – If you live in the city, double cleansing is especially important. City dwellers are exposed to a high level of pollutants everyday. If these pollutants are not washed away from the skin, they can potentially contribute to ageing and pigmentation – which nobody wants!
- Improves the efficacy of other skincare products – Double cleansing not only leaves your face extra clean but allows other skincare products to penetrate your skin better and work more effectively.
- Brightens complexion – Consistently following this double step process can help to remove any dullness or dead skin cells, leaving your complexion glowing!
- Helps dry skin – Washing your face twice with gentle products is more effective then using one strong product that can dry out your skin.
How to Double Cleanse
Double cleansing is not a one-size-fits-all! You need to consider your specific skin concern and choose the right cleansing duo that will address your skin type. By using the best double cleansing products for your skin, this will help avoid over-washing and striping your skin of natural oils.
Use a gentle cleanser that will effectively breakdown makeup and remove build ups of sebum. We recommend using the Hydrating Gentle cleanser from Balense. This is a pH balancing face wash formulated with super hydrating and anti-inflammatory nutrients that will effectively remove makeup and provide the ultimate purifying experience. With your fingers or a microfibre pad, gently massage the cleanser into your skin. Our dermal experts prefer to use the Australian Skin Clinics Makeup Remover Cleansing microfiber pads that gently and effectively remove makeup, dirt and cellular build up on the skin for a thorough cleanse.
This step involves using a cleanser that is suited to your specific skin type or skin concern. You really want to use a cleanser that will help to clarify your pores, brighten the complexion and rejuvenate the skin. For dry skin, choose a product with anti-ageing ingredients such as vitamin C or hyaluronic acid. If you suffer from acne, try using a cleanser with exfoliating agents that will help to clear blemishes and unclog pores. Balense Jojoba Exfoliating Cleanser is the perfect option for targeting skin impurities and congestion and leaves the skin radiant and hydrated.
Double cleansing is one of the best things you can do for your skin! It can set you up for skincare success boosting the efficacy of the serums and moisturisers you apply after! Our experts number one piece of advice is to ensure you are using the right cleansing products for your skin type and concern. To find out what skincare products best work for your skin, drop into your local Australian Skin Clinics and enlist the help of one of our dermal experts to identify your skin concerns, so that you can find the right products and achieve clear, glowing skin!